This delicious French toast is inspired by flavours from the Mediterranean and makes the perfect accompaniment to a summer lunch.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- 3 eggs
- A pinch paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 25g butter
- 2 slices of Allinson’s Olive & Rosemary cob
- 1 handful fresh, wild rocket leaves
- 8 black olives
- Sun-blushed tomatoes
- 50g goats’ cheese
- 2 teaspoons mild chilli sauce
- Heat a little olive oil in large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and fry the red onion slices until soft. Remove the onions and keep them warm.
- Whisk the eggs, paprika and black pepper together.
- Add the butter to the empty pan and return to a medium heat.
- Dip the bread into the egg batter, drain off any excess, and place straight into the hot pan.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. You want to develop a golden-brown colour and the texture should be crispier than traditional French toast.
- Place the cooked toasts onto a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Arrange the toast onto plates and serve with the fried red onion, rocket leaves, olives, sun-blushed tomatoes and crumbled goats’ cheese on the side.
- Drizzle with chilli sauce before serving.