This delectable croque madame is a French classic, made even
tastier with our Scandalous Seeds loaf and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
- 4 slices of Allinson’s Scandalous Seeds bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 thick slices honey roast ham
- 2 slices Emmental cheese
- 1 vine ripened tomato
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large frying pan to moderate heat.
- Lightly spread the bread with Dijon mustard and fill each sandwich with ham, Emmental and sliced tomato. Season with black pepper.
- Brush the outside of each sandwich with melted butter.
- Cook the sandwiches in a hot frying pan, pressing down with a fish slice for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden. Keep warm in the oven.
- Heat the oil in the same frying pan and fry the eggs for 1-2 minutes until the whites have set and the edges are crisp.
- Remove the eggs from the pan and add the spinach along with a few grinds of black pepper. Cook until the spinach wilts, then remove and keep warm.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are soft and the balsamic is a thick syrup.
- Serve the hot sandwiches with fried eggs, spinach, tomatoes and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.