|250g puff pastry, thawed if frozen |
|1 slice Allinson's Classic Wholemeal |
|5 tbsp / 100ml whole milk |
|85g unsalted butter, softened |
|85g caster sugar |
|2 medium size eggs |
|Juice of 1 large lemon |
|1 tsp / 5ml lemon flavouring or lemon oil |
|1 tbsp caster sugar (to decorate) |
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- Lightly butter and flour a 20cm shallow plate pie dish. Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface and line the pie dish. Chill until ready to use.
- Whizz the bread in a food processor to fine crumbs and tip into a bowl. Gently warm the milk and pour over the breadcrumbs and allow to stand for 5 minutes until cooled slightly and the breadcrumbs have absorbed the milk.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until they are pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until they are well incorporated.
- Beat the breadcrumb mixture with a fork until it is smooth and then stir into the creamed mixture. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon oil and pour into the prepared pastry case.
- Bake for 30 minutes until it has risen and is golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the caster sugar and bake it for a further 5 minutes - this will give the pudding a crunchy top.
- Serve warm with pouring cream, custard or crème fraiche. To serve cold: Mix together 2 tbsp / 20g icing sugar and a little water or freshly squeezed lemon juice to make a smooth icing. Drizzle over the pudding and serve.
To find more delicious recipes, visit www.bakingmad.com.